| Job Description: ||
Our Power group understands the challenges of the power sector in meeting worldwide demand for clean, efficient energy in the midst of financial, strategic, and regulatory uncertainty. Within our positive team environment, our employees enjoy great career advancement opportunities and the chance to work on a variety of projects including renewable energy, transmission and utility routing right-of-way surveys, hydrologic/hydraulic assessments, distributed power, sustainable design/development, environmental mitigation and monitoring, pollution prevention, and air quality management. We provide career opportunities as unique as you are. Responsibilities:
Under the general supervision of the Work lead, the Distribution Technologist/Designer is responsible for designing or applying a standard design to a diverse range of distribution projects. This position will be accountable for the design of any type and/or size of project including projects requiring use of computer software to help with technical calculations and/or for projects requiring technical field skills to validate the design.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but not limited to): Qualifications:
• Confirm scope, prepare or provide input to estimates on a diverse range of distribution projects.
• Ensure the accuracy of all project data in drafting and the project management tool.
• Travel and perform field checks as required.
• Perform Risk and Hazard Assessments.
• Stake and line locate new services, as required.
• Identify possible environmental concerns and initiate Environmental Field Reports.
• Apply standards and check designs based on codes and current engineering policies.
• Coordinate the installation and commissioning of distribution equipment.
• Provide informal coaching and guidance to other projects team members.
• Provide technical guidance to customers, stakeholders, and external consultants.
• Participate on committees, special projects and business process teams.
• Special projects or other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Adaptability – ability to change and be flexible within a changing environment.
• Ability to work effectively with various types of contractors and clients.
• Proven ability to work within a team environment or independently without direct supervision; this includes setting a good example, promoting and contributing to the success of the entire team.
• Demonstrated ability to apply sound judgment in troubleshooting and problem solving.
• Good organizational and time management skills, able to manage numerous assignments and competing demands.
• Strong customer service focus with a proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships; this includes excellent communication, interpersonal and problem solving skills.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Must hold a minimum of an Electrical Engineering technology diploma, or possess the equivalent industry experience as a Journeyman Power Line Technician or Journeyman Electrician.
• Understanding of project management principles and process would be an asset.
• Working knowledge of Oracle, MS Office, Etap, Cyme or Cymtcc, Cadd or Microstation, ABAdata, Pipeline Research, SPIN (Survey Plan Indexing Network) as well as, other related design programs would be an asset.
• Knowledge of all applicable codes, acts, and regulations as they apply to the electric utility industry is considered to be an asset.
• Knowledge of Highway Traffic accommodation requirements would be an asset.
• Knowledge of Land Survey Act would be an asset.
• Staking and surveying skills would be an asset.
• Possess and maintain a valid Alberta Motor Vehicle driver’s license in good standing.
Qualified candidates who are highly motivated and eager to commit to Stantec's strategic initiative to become a top 10 global design firm should please apply online at stantec.com/careers.
Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.