| Job Description: ||
Our Buildings Engineering group specializes in the design and development processes unique to buildings. Working closely with our clients, our dedicated professionals help to establish and understand the specific needs of a range of building projects. This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built. For both public and private sector clients, we provide unique plan checking capabilities as well as energy engineering and performance engineering services, covering each of the major engineering disciplines—structural, mechanical, and electrical. In addition, we bring together innovative and functional design solutions for companies involved in the discovery, research and development, and commercial scale manufacturing of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and medical device products. Focused on providing cost-effective solutions to engineering challenges, we are involved in a diverse range of projects from the initial planning stages to design, construction, and commissioning. Our structure cultivates career growth and provides opportunities as unique as you are.
Stantec is One Team providing Infinite Opportunities. Responsibilities:
An opportunity exists in our Toronto-Wellington office for a highly motivated Intermediate Buildings /Power Systems Designer to become part of our dynamic group providing professional services and business development to our clients in the buildings sector. As the successful candidate you will assume the position to provide technical support to the Project Lead/ Senior Designer, in developing working drawings and detailed technical specifications for a project specifically for the power distribution system and provide power systems analysis and evaluations for existing systems.
- Assist and participate in Power system business development.
- Prepare and conduct presentation to potential client or proposal.
- Complete Coordination and Arc Flash studies using power systems modeling software
- Perform electrical distribution switchgear evaluations and prepare assessment reports
- Conduct research to determine viable solutions for design issues
- Install or evaluate power quality metering reports and write reports addressing harmonics or transient issues
- Review proposed settings for trip units and relays
- Review and evaluate commissioning of electrical power distribution systems
- Assist the Project Lead/Senior Designer in preparing working drawings and technical specifications relative to power distribution systems, grounding, transformers, MCCs, etc.
- Assist the Project Lead/ Senior Designer in preparing engineering reports
- Work independently on smaller projects to complete these tasks for the project
- Keeping up-to-date on new products, technologies, design processes and drafting techniques
- Prepare project documents and equipment specifications
- Communicate with architect and other discipline as required for design coordination
- Providing electrical load calculations on various building types
- Sizing and specifying of power distribution components including switchgear for medium and low voltage system
- Sizing, specifying grounding systems for various commercial buildings and systems
- Providing technical troubleshooting and advising as required for specific project issues
- Coordinate design work with other disciplines, other offices and other project team members
- Review submittals, shop drawings and RFIs
- A minimum of 7+ years of design experience in power distribution and generator design for commercial, health care and institutional buildings
- Familiar with SKM and/or ETAP suite of products is a must
- Graduate of a technical college or engineering degree program preferred, but not a necessary requirement
- An understanding of the principles involved in preparing construction documentation
- Sound working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of office products
- Thorough understanding of the Canadian Electrical Code
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in technology
- Ability to integrate new technologies into daily work processes
- Working knowledge of commercial design practices and construction methods
- Excellent English communication skills, both verbal & written
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet assignment schedule & deliver quality products under pressure
- LEED© accreditation will be an asset
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Willingness to engage in continuing education activities
- Ability to work within a team, sharing workloads to meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of Autodesk’s Revit MEP will be definite asset