Vacancy has expiredShow me jobs like this one
North Cascades Institute. |
|Experience Required:||2-3 years|
|State/Province:||WA - Washington|
North Cascades Institute seeks a qualified, enthusiastic individual for a Senior Naturalist position as part of our education team. Based out of the North Cascades Environmental Learning Center in North Cascades National Park (Diablo, Washington). The Senior Naturalist’s primary role is to provide leadership and support for programs and serves as a master teacher among the Learning Center community. This is achieved through developing, instructing and evaluating lessons in natural and cultural history, science, and other subjects for wide-ranging audiences, including the Institute’s graduate program in partnership with Western Washington University. The Senior Naturalist will teach and provide leadership in our Mountain School program during spring and fall and will assist in the coordination for adult and family programming throughout their term.
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, preferably in Environmental Education, Environmental Science, Education, Biology, Ecology or related field
· Experience coordinating program logistics and training seasonal staff
· Ability to work flexible hours including evenings; weekend work will be required at times
· Residential environmental education experience working with diverse audiences (adults, children and families)
· Must be a creative, energetic, flexible, motivated professional who enjoys working as a team player
· Enthusiasm for learning and teaching about the natural world
· Strong work ethic and poise; effective communication and customer service skills
· Ability to work and live comfortably in a small, remote community
· Ability to hike over varied elevation and terrain for extended periods
· Current Wilderness First Responder certification required
· A pre-employment or post-hire background screening and criminal history check
· Valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record for the past three years
· Ability to lift 50 pounds
· Provides leadership for adult and family programs.
· Works in tandem with Program Manager to coordinate logistics for all adult and family seminars. Tasks will include:
· Coordination of Base Camp and Family Getaways
· Organize staffing schedule for Base Camp and Family Getaways
· Work with both operations and program team to reserve necessary resources for programs
· Act as point person for contract instructors while program is running
· During spring and fall, provides instructional support for Mountain School for elementary, middle and high school youth.
· Oversee seasonal naturalists who provide support for Base Camp and Family Getaway.
· Supervise interns, provide orientation and training, provide oversight and constant supervision during teaching and program support, and advise interns on their academic project.
· Provide educational support to Graduate Program.
· Provide observation and critical feedback to seasonal naturalists, interns and graduate students throughout the program season.
· Assist Program Team in scheduling and leading trainings throughout the year including Mountain School, adult programs, Graduate program, Family Getaways and Base Camp.
· Create and lead community-building events on a bi-monthly basis to promote a positive community environment at the learning center.
· Active member of the North Cascades Institute Risk Management Team.
Disclaimer: This job announcement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Start/ End Date
Mid-February – mid-November 2013
Compensation and Housing
This is a seasonal/temporary full time exempt position with holiday pay; the monthly salary is $2,400. Housing is provided and all Seasonal Naturalists are required to reside in staff housing during the duration of the position; meals will be provided when programs are in session. Pets and smoking are not allowed in the program, housing, or any Environmental Learning Center facilities.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and three references to:
North Cascades Institute
Senior Naturalist Search
810 State Route 20
Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284-1239
Equal Opportunity Employer: Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority at North Cascades Institute. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, marital status, age (over 40), veteran status, physical or mental disability, ex-offender status or any other basis prohibited by law in any of its policies or programs.