| Job Description: ||
Alaska Wilderness League is the only Washington, DC‐based environmental group devoted full-time to protecting the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and other wilderness quality lands and waters offshore in Alaska. Founded in 1993, the League is a 501(c)(3) organization that works at the federal level on a variety of issues affecting Alaska’s wild lands and waters. With headquarters in DC and staff in four offices in Alaska and across the country, the League’s mission is to lead the effort to preserve Alaska’s wild lands and waters by engaging citizens and decision makers with a courageous, constant, victorious voice for Alaska.
Position Summary: The League is now hiring a New Media Director to lead its online strategy, develop and execute online campaigns (integrating recruitment, advocacy, and fundraising components), and manage its web and social media presence. Many of the conditions for success are in place (a fast-growing, active email list, access to our brand new CRM, ActionKit, and a leadership team that is highly supportive of the online program) – all we need now is you.
The Director works independently to implement online campaigns with collaboration from staff at key times. The Director will be responsible for the development, execution and analysis of nearly all online-related activities. Accordingly, the successful candidate must draw on a confident, experienced awareness of both the potential and the limitations of online communications to provide sound leadership on the goals and priorities of the online program. The Director reports to the Deputy Director and can be based in DC or remotely.
• Plan & Lead – Develop and manage annual goals and budget for the online program; Develop plans for 4-5 online campaigns per year that cost-effectively recruit new subscribers, develop subscriber relationships, increase online revenue and maximize political impact; Host planning and debrief meetings with staff
• Execute – Develop and execute all components of online campaigns, including advocacy alerts, fundraising appeals, event notices, social media, and bi-monthly eNewsletters; Push the boundaries of our online CRM, ActionKit, using MySQL; Refresh home page regularly with topical action items and branding initiatives and keep other content up-to-date (via WordPress); Administer Google Grants account; Coordinate social networking efforts; Assist in integration of online data with offline Raiser’s Edge database
• Analyze & Improve – Produce monthly and annual reports to analyze messaging, advocacy, fundraising, website and advertising metrics; Conduct periodic messaging and tactical tests
• Participate & Advise – Coordinate with program directors to determine how best to utilize online communications to achieve program and organizational goals; Advise staff regarding website content needs and opportunities; Ensure grassroots field staff are utilizing online resources to effectively augment their activities; Participate in League-wide staff activities
Alaska Wilderness League is an equal opportunity employer.
• Clarity of vision – You see the whole picture and how all the pieces fit together to plan and execute projects; You know how to prioritize efforts to generate the greatest net value to the organization; You are comfortable with the technical and messaging strategies and the execution of online advocacy/fundraising campaigns and other online communications
• Leadership/coordination aptitude – Must clearly communicate the goals, strategies, and limitations of online communications to collaborate with staff and leadership to craft effective online campaign plans; Ability to effectively manage large projects and coordinate participation from staff and vendors as needed; Ability to be nimble and flexible by balancing the need for structure in communications plans with the realities of executing them in an ever-changing political context
• Message framing – Ability to distill complex issues to their basic roots and translate it into compelling narratives for online activists and donors
• Technical skills – Advanced ability to create and edit web content using a CMS (e.g. Wordpress), HTML editing required; Advanced familiarity with online CRMs, ideally ActionKit; Understanding of how technology enables, limits, or otherwise shapes the role of online communications in the pursuit of organizational goals; Desire to remain current on best practices in online technologies and techniques. Preferred additional skills: web/graphic design; Advanced SQL querying
• Approachable & available manner – You maintain effective working relationships and are eager to earn the participation of others to execute successful online communications
To apply: Send resume and cover letter, including salary history to email@example.com. Please send two examples of your work that we might find useful. Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
1. What are the strengths that you bring to this job and evidence of them?
2. Describe a challenge you have overcome.
3. Why is this the ideal job for you?
Salary & Benefits: salary commensurate with experience, health & retirement benefits.