| Job Description: ||
Every human life on Earth depends on a natural world capable of supporting our needs. But we are taking more from nature than it can replace, weakening the Earth’s ability to provide the clean air, fresh water and food we depend on. Conservation International leads influential teams—governments, industries and community leaders—who design and implement large-scale changes that restore the balance between human consumption and nature’s production. In order to be successful in its mission, Conservation International must be a well-known and trusted brand.
Reporting directly to the Chairman and CEO, the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is a key member of the executive leadership team providing strong, creative, energetic, strategic leadership on all of CI’s marketing and branding initiatives. The CMO will build a clear vision and breakthrough marketing strategies to increase CI’s brand awareness globally. S/he will develop and execute consistent and compelling key messages that accurately portray the work and mission of the organization. S/he will oversee global advertising, collateral, promotions and other initiatives to drive familiarity, favorability and preference for the organization’s brand while supporting key organizational objectives, including raising funds, influencing key corporate and public-sector decision-makers and engaging in strategic partnerships.
- Set marketing and branding vision and high-level objectives to enable the organization and the division to achieve CI's organizational goals.
- Lead effort to identify, segment and research key target audiences to drive general brand awareness and engagement objectives, key organizational objectives, including raising funds, influencing decision-makers and engaging in strategic partnerships.
- Oversee brand positioning, message development as well as market research to help define relevant and compelling messages.
- Identify and pitch strategic marketing partners and opportunities, and oversee the implementation of marketing initiatives, in both traditional and non-traditional arenas that lead to increased brand awareness
- Ensure external communications – from CI’s web presence, social and traditional media engagement, events, publications, video products and other communications products – are first in class and effective in supporting organizational goals. Work with CI’s senior leaders to align all communications and ensure an integrated approach to CI's global brand and marketing efforts that reinforces CI’s brand value and reflects its initiatives and campaigns as appropriate to local conditions.
FUNDRAISING & PARTNERSHIPS
- Collaborate with other senior leaders in the development of relationships with partners in the public and private sector that are key to CI’s success.
- Develop proposals and project ideas to help raise funds from private sources, foundations and other partners or secure pro bono services for marketing and branding efforts.
- Collaborate with CI’s SVP of Development to develop the messaging and tools necessary to support CI’s fundraising initiatives from a variety of sources – public and private.
- Collaborate with CI’s SVP, Center for Environmental Leadership in Business on messaging, tools and pitches for cause-related marketing initiatives.
- Serve as staff liaison for CI Board on matters related to marketing and branding.
PEOPLE & PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- Oversee division staff, budgets, programs & projects. Ensure fiscal oversight of the division’s budgets.
- Align staff efforts toward overall objectives and manage performance.
- Represent the division on CI Leadership and other senior-level committees responsible for decisions affecting the institution.
- Home base is CI's Arlington, VA headquarters
- Frequent travel (>25%) to domestic and international locations
- Availability to deal with pressing business, emergencies and unanticipated crises or opportunities that may arise related to CI’s institutional needs or management, outside of normal office hours
- Advanced degree in business, marketing, communications or related field and a minimum 15 years experience in progressive management/leadership level positions in marketing or communications (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- International experience developing and implementing branding and marketing programs and strategies and systems to support a multi-million dollar, multi-location global organization
- Experience working in a diverse decentralized international organization
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including effective presentation and negotiation skills
- Ability to create innovative strategies, partnerships and programs without existing models
- Proven ability to formulate and execute results utilizing strong analytical, critical decision-making and strategic planning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, presence and ability to effectively build strong relationships both internally and externally
- Capability to interact effectively with senior executives, celebrities, corporate leaders, heads of state and other non-governmental organizations
- Proven ability to lead, engage, and collaborate with individuals across various disciplines, cultures and backgrounds to achieve shared goals
- Demonstrated ability in staff supervision and coaching, and building successful teams
- A reputation for high ethical standards and integrity
- Passion for international nature conservation and sustainable development, and commitment to engagement with public and private leaders to address environmental problems and promote healthy ecosystems essential for human well-being
- Leadership Competencies:
- Energetic, collaborative and proactive
- Entrepreneurial and dynamic thought leader
- Highly adaptive and able to work well in high stress situations
- Stature, and confidence to gain the credibility, respect and buy-in for a wide range of audiences and stakeholders
- Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Supervision of staff
- Authority to determine and modify division’s organizational structure
- Authority to establish strategy and performance targets as aligned with overall CI strategy
- Authority to negotiate on behalf of CI with "C" level executives
- Authority to raise and commit resources consistent with established fundraising and finance policies and procedures
- Authority to represent CI and its views to the media and to the public
- Responsibility for executive decisions on division budgets, strategies and work plans
- Authority to communicate directly with CI's Chairman and CEO, President, and Chief Operating Officer on any matters requiring their attention
- Authority to convene meetings with other CI unit and division heads to discuss program strategy or institutional management issues