| Job Description: ||
Created in 1994, Minnesota Waste Wise is a member-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides environmental sustainability support to Minnesota businesses and organizations. Minnesota Waste Wise offers a variety of services, including Environmental Sustainability Consulting, Educational Workshops & Events, Sponsorship Opportunities, Waste Sorts, and contracts with local and state governments to provide large-scale technical assistance. It’s In The Bag and Energy Smart are active programs of Minnesota Waste Wise.
The Executive Director (ED) will lead the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation and its programs, including Energy Smart and It’s in the Bag. This is an exciting time for Minnesota Waste Wise, as we strive to transform our non-profit to be more competitive with others in our area. We are looking for someone who can be a strong leader and a visionary for new ways to serve the environmental needs of businesses in Minnesota.
The Executive Director will
• Staff and report to the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation board of directors and officers. The Executive Director reports directly to the Minnesota Chamber Senior Vice President and the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation Board Chair
• Raise program funds, develop new environmental sustainability programs, manage Waste Wise and Energy Smart staff, draft and manage annual budgets and promotion of programs.
• Be responsible for meeting the annual program and financial objectives of the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation, ensuring the success of all programs.
• Lead and transform Minnesota Waste Wise Wise Foundation to its fullest potential.
1. Oversee all aspects of the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation operations & staff.
2. Draft and manage budgets for Minnesota Waste Wise and the Energy Smart program.
3. Fundraising, grant writing/reporting and membership recruitment.
4. Manage and foster positive relationships with large program funders.
5. Manage and conduct environmental sustainability assistance to MWW members as needed.
6. Ensure distribution of Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation (and program) promotional materials, including websites, newsletters, promotional materials, news releases, events and social media.
7. Manage all Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation programs, including Energy Smart and It's in the Bag.
8. Seek and develop new voluntary environmental sustainability programs that reflect the Minnesota Waste Wise mission and will positively benefit Minnesota Waste Wise, the environment and the business community.
9. Staff MWW board of directors and officers. Do all preparation for and follow up from board meetings.
10. Assist in planning and developing events, including annual meeting, special events, workshops and conferences.
11. Manage Minnesota Waste Wise staff and conduct annual performance reviews.
12. Develop and manage long-term strategic plans and goals, ensuring all program goals are met.
13. Other duties as needed to ensure the programmatic and financial success of the Minnesota Waste Wise Foundation.
(see next page for qualifications)
Updated 6/21/2012 page 2 of 2
1. Experience developing, managing and operating environmental (or related) programs required.
2. Experience in fundraising, creating new revenue sources, and managing budgets. Membership development or related experience is very helpful.
3. Experience working in or with the business community. Understanding of how businesses operate and knowledge of current issues in sustainability that businesses are facing.
4. Undergraduate degree (Master’s preferred) and 3+ years’ experience in a leadership position. Environmental sustainability (or related) field experience is also important.
5. Ability to multi-task and manage several projects simultaneously.
6. Excellent communication skills required.
7. Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate in an organized manner on environmental issues to both large and small audiences, media and businesses.
8. Ability to create and maintain positive working relationships with potential donors, members, board members and staff.
Please e-mail (preferred) or mail resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:
400 North Robert Street, Suite 1500
St. Paul, MN 55101