| Job Description: ||
TITLE: Associate Director, River Restoration Program
CLASSIFICATION: Associate Director
REPORTS TO: Director, River Restoration Program
LOCATION: Portland, OR
START DATE: As soon as possible
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers is the leading organization working to protect and restore the nation’s rivers and streams. Rivers connect us to each other, nature, and future generations. Since 1973, American Rivers has fought to preserve these connections, helping protect and restore more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and the annual release of America’s Most Endangered Rivers®. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 100,000 supporters, members, and volunteers nationwide. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
American Rivers seeks an Associate Director for our River Restoration Program within the Conservation Department. The program’s mission is to restore the form and function of damaged rivers and floodplains to protect and enhance human and natural communities. The position works directly with stakeholders, including state and federal government agencies, municipalities, dam owners, and conservation organizations, to restore rivers. This is an exciting opportunity for a high energy professional who is interested in achieving tangible benefits to rivers and the human and natural communities that depend upon them. The work will be focused in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. This is a part-time (20 hours per week) position that is supported by a one year federal grant. The position may be extended if the existing funding is renewed or new funding is found.
- Serve as a regional advocate and information resource on river restoration.
- Actively promote the American Rivers-NOAA Community-based Restoration Partnership grant program in the relevant geographic region. This includes:
- identification of eligible projects and solicitation of proposals;
- serving as an information resource during the call for proposals;
- coordinating and leading a regional grant review; and
- providing assistance and grant oversight to newly selected grant recipients, as well as established grantees.
- Lead and assist continued efforts to identify, cultivate and secure increased funding opportunities related to river restoration. This includes assisting in the development of fundraising proposals and reports as needed.
- Act as project manager for a limited number of priority river restoration efforts in the region.
- Coordinate with staff from other American Rivers departments in achieving program goals.
- Develop comment letters, fact sheets, brochures, white papers, and other resources as needed.
- Represent American Rivers in public meetings, the media and other forums as needed.
- Travel as needed to represent American Rivers and the River Restoration Program.
- Degree and/or professional certification in natural or physical science, engineering, natural resource planning or management, or other related discipline.
- Project management and/or project leadership experience in an agency, consulting or conservation organization environment.
- High energy level, flexible, self-motivated, and self-confident.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in collaborative approaches to achieving river restoration.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently within the geographic region.
The position is part-time at approximately 20 hours per week. The salary range is $20,000 to $24,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, salary history, and three professional references to: American Rivers, Attn: Assoc. Dir., River Restoration Position, 1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400, Washington, DC 20005; or to: firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Assoc. Dir., River Restoration Position” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer