| Job Description: ||
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) is a national nonprofit organization advocating healthier lifestyles by creating a nationwide network of public trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors. Founded in 1986, RTC is one of the most respected trail advocacy organizations in the nation with more than 150,000 members and supporters. After helping create more than 20,000 miles of rail-trail during the last 25 years, RTC has an ambitious goal for the future: By 2020, 90 percent of Americans will live within three miles of a trail system. RTC is headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices in the Midwest, Northeast, West and Florida.
This position is located in RTC's national office in the West End/Foggy Bottom area of Washington, D.C., and is easily accessible by Metro's Red, Orange and Blue lines.
As an integral member of the Development team, the Manager of Online Campaigns plays a key role in managing the growing electronic marketing activities of Rails-to-Trails Conservancy. This position is primarily responsible for the development and execution of Web-based fundraising campaigns. This work consists of the management and cross-departmental coordination of outbound e-messaging, and the development of the design, audience segmentation, testing, delivery and performance reporting for each message or campaign. This position also helps to develop and coordinate other electronic outreach efforts, including those related to advocacy and general communications. In addition, this position also plays a central role in the creative development of online engagement campaigns and other promotions.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
• In coordination with other staff members, responsible for the design of outgoing RTC email messages, including those primarily related to fundraising, but also for advocacy and general communications;
• Ensure outgoing RTC e-messages are proofed, segmented, tested and then delivered at the desired time;
• Create and manage an organizational e-messaging calendar and act as the cross-departmental manager to ensure the richest combination of messages, frequency and segmentation are being used to meet the organization's needs;
• Develop and maintain a sophisticated online constituent data segmentation system and hierarchy structure;
• Analyze a wide range of email and Web performance metrics and effectively communicate the results to RTC management and staff;
• Assist with management of RTC's online constituent relationship management (CRM) system, which currently houses more than 375,000 active contact records;
• Assist in the planning, development and implementation of online engagement campaigns;
• Available to help design, update and create content for advocacy, fundraising and e-commerce Web pages on www.railstotrails.org.
None at this time, though this position works closely with leadership and staff across all departments of the organization, as well as external Web and marketing consultants; this position will report directly to the Senior Director of Development.
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates for this position must have:
• A B.A./B.S. degree;
• 2–5 years experience in communications or database management with fluency in online/Web technologies;
• Practiced experience using Convio's CRM, Online Marketing & Fundraising, and Advocacy modules;
• Experience managing electronic fundraising, advocacy or other online campaigns;
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to manage and work within collaborative situations, as well as work independently;
• Ability to understand and analyze complex data sets;
• Web development and design skills that include comfort with HTML, XML and CSS;
• Experience in direct mail marketing or other fundraising efforts;
• Experience in political/advocacy messaging;
• Content management experience that includes familiarity with SEO tactics;
• Knowledge of and appreciation for issues and causes important to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy.
Normal office setting with low to moderate noise level.
RTC reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in accordance with RTC's business needs. This job description is by no means an implied contract.
How to Apply: (Choose one form of transmitting your resume; no phone calls please)
Mail, fax or email resume and cover letter as soon as possible to: Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, Attention: Human Resources, 2121 Ward Court, NW, 5th Floor, Duke Ellington Building; Fax: 202.223.9257; email: Elton@railstotrails.org. RTC is an equal opportunity employer and seeks qualified candidates regardless of race, color, gender, disability or national origin. Women and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.