| Job Description: ||
Our Industrial Buildings and Facilities group offers services for all phases of the project life cycle, from pre-project planning through detailed design, construction and operations, to decommissioning. This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built. Exercising creativity and ingenuity, our team develops unique solutions in environment, health and safety; facilities engineering; industrial process engineering; and control system integration. Our professionals deliver convenient, integrated, and practical solutions to complex industrial problems in many sectors, including automotive, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, cement, mining, general manufacturing, etc. Comprised of industry process experts, engineers, technologists, architects, as well as occupational health and safety professionals, we provide career opportunities as unique as you are. Responsibilities:
Stantec’s Dartmouth office has an immediate opening for a Senior Structural Engineer. The successful candidate will lead structural project teams to develop construction documents ( i.e. working drawings and detailed technical specifications) for projects of varying complexity and construction value. Teams vary in size and composition and include professional staff and technologists.
Other responsibilities include:
- Prepare engineering designs from conceptual design, through tender to construction.
- Apply professional seal to construction documents or engineering reports. Monitor and take professional responsibility for design completed by other team members.
- Lead team members in determining viable solutions for design issues.
- Ensure Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures are followed during project planning and production.
- Assist Project Managers in developing project budgets and timelines.
- Assist in the coordination of project design activities and the preparation of engineering work schedules.
- Work to and meet project time lines and budgets.
- Liaise with owners, architects, and other project stakeholders to determine project objectives. Relay objectives to project team. Ensure project objectives are met.
- Coordinate design work with other disciplines, other offices, and other project team members as required by project size.
- Support Construction Administration personnel including field reviews and co-ordination, review and issuance of change notices, clarifications and RFI responses on an occasional or as required basis
- Coach Intermediate and Junior Staff members informally or through formal presentations.
- Assist the management team in developing tools and techniques for the execution of daily duties.
- Professional Engineer with the ability to be licensed to practice structural engineering in the Nova Scotia region with 5+ years of current experience in design development, detailed design, design coordination, and construction services.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the design of industrial building and facilities structural systems; with focus on industrial, institutional and commercial building projects preferred.
- Ability to coordinate and liaise with Project Managers, Architects, and Engineers as part of a multi-disciplined organization across multiple offices.
- Strong management experience in establishing scope, and directing the work of Professional Engineers and technical staff on multiple projects.
- Ability to manage project objectives and priorities, budgeting, and scheduling.
- Maintain a high standard of quality and safety at every level of service delivery.
- Must have a strong background in design of reinforced concrete and structural steel construction.
- Should be able to work independently from conceptual design through to working drawings.
- Knowledge of programs for structural analysis such as STAAD or SAFI
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office software packages.
- Strong technical writing, communication and interpersonal skills.