| Job Description: ||
Nature Store Associate
Sanctuary Director/Manager of Visitor Services
Part-time, 8 to 30 hours per week, 2 positions open
Job Description: Nature Store Associate to work in our Nature Store, (8 to 30 hours) including one weekend day. Days and hours to be determined.
The Nature Store Associate has dual reporting reports to the Sanctuary Director and the Manager of Visitor Services.
- Ensure customer service and satisfaction and promote products, programs and the NJ Audubon mission.
- Greet visitors, answer telephones, and disseminate NJAS/Plainsboro information, answer questions about local natural areas, and natural history.
- Encourage membership enrollment especially with each sale.
- Assist customers with merchandise selection.
- Process sales and maintain accurate sales records.
- Prepare daily reconciliations.
- Assist with ordering, processing, pricing and display of merchandise.
- Assist with processing of store accounting procedures.
- Assist with maintenance of inventory database and assist in bi-annual store inventory.
- Create and maintain seasonal natural history education exhibits at center.
- Assist with offsite sales during special events.
- Train and coordinate store volunteers and encourage new volunteers.
- Maintain supply and restock of literature for center (membership brochures, checklists, info packs, etc.) to ensure ample supply available.
- Help with general light maintenance of store and grounds, including breaking down of cardboard, taking out trash & recycling, filling bird feeders, cleaning up, etc.
- Order, receive, price, and display merchandise.
- Keep records of billing and accounts payable.
- Reconcile the cash register weekly and monthly and conduct banking.
- Prepare weekly income reconciliations and transmit to the Society’s Finance Department.
- Establish and monitor merchandise displays.
- Maintain daily visitation records and monthly reports for the VP of Education.
- Assist in coordination of scheduling and retail training of volunteers and staff including: register procedures, product knowledge, and standards of operation.
- Assist in organizing in-store special events.
- Assist in advertising and press releases for store related sales and activities.
- Process sale of programs through the point of sale system and register participants.
- Order office supplies.
- Participates with other staff to adopt a “team” approach towards daily operations and support at Visitor Services and the Plainsboro Preserve center.
- Work in cooperation with the Sanctuary Director and the Manager of Visitor Services and assume other responsibilities as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of natural history of NJ and/or the birding market.
- Strong retail sales and inventory management experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction.
- A motivated self-starter who is also a strong team player
- Punctual with effective time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written skills required.
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office) word processing, spreadsheet programs and database management to fulfill the job requirements.
- Four year degree or equivalent work experience.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to meet special needs of the Center and the organization.
- Ability to lift and move merchandise and boxes.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to operate a vehicle in NJ.
Starting Date: Immediate
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: Position will be posted until filled.
Qualified individuals may apply by sending resumes with cover letters via email to who is interviewing firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
New Jersey Audubon
80 Scotts Corner Rd.
Cranbury, NJ 08512
New Jersey Audubon Society is an equal opportunity employer.