| Job Description: ||
The Climate Action Reserve is a U.S. carbon offsets program focused on ensuring the
environmental integrity of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction projects and creating and
supporting financial and environmental value in the U.S. carbon market. It does this by
establishing regulatory-quality standards for the development, quantification, and verification of
GHG offset projects in North America; overseeing independent third-party verification bodies;
issuing carbon offset credits (known as “Climate Reserve Tonnes” or “CRTs”) for verified
emission reductions; and tracking the transaction of credits over time in a transparent, publiclyaccessible
The Reserve offers a hands-on, fast-paced work environment with tremendous potential for
growth and advancement. This position provides the opportunity to join a team playing a leading
role in developing climate change policy in North America. For more information about the
Reserve, please visit: www.climateactionreserve.org
The Reserve is seeking a Policy Associate to help with its GHG project protocol implementation
and development work.
Working with the Reserve’s Policy Team, the Policy Associate will be responsible for
maintaining, implementing, and updating existing protocols and assisting in the development of
new project protocols. The Policy Associate will report directly to a Senior Policy Manager. The
primary responsibilities are outlined below and should be viewed as a starting point; the position
will evolve and grow according to the successful candidate’s interests and aptitude, and with the
• Management and ongoing refinement of existing Climate Action Reserve protocols. The
Policy Associate will develop subject matter expertise on the contents and
implementation of specific Climate Action Reserve protocols, in order to perform the
o Conduct research for and coordinate protocol updates as needed
o Respond to inquiries about contents and application of protocols
o Assist in applying protocols to individual projects. This may include reviewing
project documents required for project registration – submittal forms, variance
requests, verification reports, etc.
o Train verifiers for verification of specific project types.
• Provide assistance in the research and development of new project protocols. This will
include activities like literature reviews, regulatory analysis, financial modeling, statistical
analysis, and drafting and editing of protocol documents, as well as helping to facilitate
• Provide research support to the Policy Team on additional projects as needed.
• BA/BS degree (MA/MS degree preferred) in natural or environmental science, engineering,
public policy, economics, or a related field.
• Knowledge of GHG accounting and climate policy
• Demonstrated experience with GHG emissions measurement and verification
• Strong technical/analytical background
• Ability to deliver effective presentations and digest complicated technical issues and present
them in a simple and understandable fashion
• Exceptional research and writing skills
• Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
• Natural sciences, economics or engineering background preferred
• 1-2 years professional experience (and/or relevant internship experience)
• U.S. citizen or legal right to work in the U.S.
• Team player and quick learner who focuses on high productivity and results
• Self-starter with a proactive attitude
• Creative problem solver
• Adaptable; willing and able to learn new subject areas quickly
• Professional, friendly, and enthusiastic personality
Salary commensurate with experience. Position includes a competitive benefits package.
The position is available immediately. Interested candidates must submit the following
information to the Search Committee:
• Cover letter
• Writing sample (maximum of 5 pages)
The position is open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications
should be emailed to the following address with the header “Policy Associate Candidate”:
The Climate Action Reserve is an equal opportunity employer.