| Job Description: ||
We all want clean air, clean water and open spaces, but it takes independent research and tough-minded advocacy to win concrete results for our environment, especially when powerful interests stand in the way of environmental progress. That's the idea behind Environment America. We are a federation of 29 state environmental groups working towards a cleaner, greener and healthier future. We speak out and take action at the local, state and national levels to improve the quality of our environment and our lives.
Our Washington, DC advocacy office represents the Environment America federation in federal policy matters. Our roots at the state level give Environment America a unique “outside the beltway” perspective on the issues, while our state staff, national field organizers and members across all 50 states provide the grassroots power necessary to enact change at the federal level.
The administrative director works with Environment America’s Washington DC office director to implement the systems needed to support substantial growth over the next five to 10 years. The administrative director will continue to build and manage effective and streamlined administrative and financial systems, including financial, accounting, legal, information technology, human resources, and physical infrastructure.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Administrative director will be involved in organizational planning and evaluation, as well as Environment America’s expansion to more program areas and federated groups in new states. Specific responsibilities of the administrative director include:
- Overall financial management responsibility including the review and approval of quarterly, and annual financial reporting materials and metrics for the Executive Director;
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, cash flow and coordination of audit activities as well as accounts payable and receivable;
- Reconcile financial activities including capturing key data in order to demonstrate the relationship between Environment America’s goals and resulting fundraising needs;
- Manage one full-time accounting administrator; and
- Coordinate all audit activities.
Administration and Operations:
- Oversee payroll for 70 staff;
- Maintain attendance and vacation tracking systems and 401K b;
- Manage the organization’s physical infrastructure, physical plant, and system maintenance (phone system, security, cleaning, supplies, etc.); and
- Oversee one Administrative Assistant
- Develop and maintain systems for tracking and evaluating Environment America’s programmatic goals;
- Organize meetings and trainings; and
- Recruit and train staff.
We seek a highly motivated individual with at least three to five years of professional experience including financial management experience and a strong commitment to protecting the air we breathe, water we drink and places we love. The ideal candidate will demonstrate flexibility and be a self starter with top notch organizational skills and excruciating attention to detail. Candidates must have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; as well as excellent computer skills including Excel, Word and Outlook; strong problem solving skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. The benefits package includes educational loan assistance for qualified staff, health care, a retirement plan, paid vacation and sick days, parental leave, and a dependent care assistance program. Opportunities for advancement, travel and additional training are available.
Please send resume and cover letter to John Cross via our online application.