| Job Description: ||
Reporting to the Deputy Director and working closely with ForestEthics’ communications and programmatic staff, the Communications Director will be responsible for setting and managing the communications strategy, implementation and staff for ForestEthics. In addition, this position will lead all media outreach in the US. This is a full-time position. Compensation for the Communications Director includes an excellent package of employee and health benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience and regional cost of living. This position will be headquartered in one of our Pacific Northwest offices located in Bellingham, WA or San Francisco, CA.
- Raise the profile of ForestEthics and its campaigns through earned media pitching, strategic and creative outreach to supporters and the public, and high-profile organizational and campaign branding;
- Monitor media, and recognize how changes to global and local contexts impact ForestEthics’ campaigns and communications strategies;
- Provide ongoing media and public communications support and guidance to ForestEthics staff;
- Carry on consistent communication with key reporters and outlets in order to land big stories at strategic moments;
- Manage and maintain reporter contact database.
MANAGE THE COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
- Develop US communications strategies in collaboration with campaigns and senior management;
- Support Canadian communications and stay abreast of activity in Canada;
- Create budget and annual strategic plans for the communications department, and work plans for US communications staff;
- Convene all communications department meetings, including prep and follow-up
- Manage communications staff, including onboarding and separation
MANAGE ONLINE COMMUNICATIONS TEAM
- Manage online staff
- Development, management and execution of proactive self-publishing through social media, op-ed websites and other outlets. May include developing posts as needed.
- Implement and engage as appropriate in overall ForestEthics branding work as developed by Deputy Director, including development of ForestEthics voice and materials
- 4-6 years experience working with media and/or as a communications specialist in the non-profit sector
- Charismatic and tenacious
- Interest in or passion for the mission of ForestEthics
- Ability to travel as necessary
- Excellent project management, follow-through, and time management skills
- Experience supervising a minimum of 3 staff members
- Demonstrated track record of collaboration, as well as ability to work independently
- Ability to think and act strategically
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency in basic computer applications, including spreadsheet, word processing and internet; prior content management systems experience preferred
- Basic math skills as demonstrated by the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; and the ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- High reasoning skills as demonstrated by the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; and the ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Intermediate language skills as demonstrated by the ability to read and interpret documents such as operating instructions or procedure manuals, ability to write routine reports and correspondence, and ability to speak effectively before groups of people.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Ability to work on evenings and weekends as necessary
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Talk, hear
- Clear vision at 25 inches or less to view computer screen and read documents
- Must be able to sit at desk and work on a computer for long periods of time
- May have to climb stairs to reach office
- Working conditions typical of an office environment
- Exposure to moderate levels of noise such as computers, printers, light traffic
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Be sure to include your name in the email subject line and on all attachments. We thank you for your interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.