The Coral Reef Alliance is the only international organization working exclusively to save our planet's coral reefs. We provide conservation education, tools, and inspiration to help worldwide communities become passionate environmental stewards for coral reefs. Together we develop well-managed marine protected areas and financially sustainable businesses that benefit reefs and the people who depend on them.
We have a small but dedicated staff in our San Francisco headquarters as well as our project sites throughout the world.
The Accountant is responsible for recording the majority of day-to-day transactions for the organization and is directed by the Director Finance and Administration in other special projects as needed. This is part-time hourly position at approximately 20 hours per week, with benefits.
Ideal Candidate Description
The ideal candidate will have two critical elements: (1) a passion for the mission of the Coral Reef Alliance, inclusive of a belief in the future direction and long-term priorities and goals of our organization, and (2) a proven ability to independently manage day-to-day accounting functions for a non-profit organization.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Accounts payable: receive all bills/expense reports, allocate to cost centers, and enter into general ledger. Schedule bills for payment, and issue checks.
• Cash receipts:
· Record deposits into general ledger and make deposits to bank as needed.
· Process credit card donations.
• Payroll: Process semi-monthly payroll and input into accounting general ledger. Maintain time sheets and cost center allocations. Transmit & reconcile retirement plan. Maintain vacation and sick accruals and commuter vouchers.
• Compliance: Prepare and process solicitation compliance reporting for all necessary states (~41).
• Other support to the Finance Director as needed.
• Proven experience in non-profit accounting
• Minimum five years experience in bookkeeping/accounting
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent
• Strong attention to detail
• Candidate must have excellent written and verbal skills in English
• Positive attitude and proven ability to work collaboratively
• Proficiency in MS Excel spreadsheets, and familiarity with both Mac and PC environments.
The Coral Reef Alliance offers a competitive non-profit salary with excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, and a 401K match. The non-monetary
compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of a dedicated and enthusiastic team who are committed to saving one of our planet's most valuable ecosystems-coral reefs.
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also have the ability to sit at a desk for 2-3 hours at a time, lift and move documents, and supplies not to exceed 25 lbs., and bend to file and retrieve documents.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume by email, with "Accountant" in the subject line (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins), to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high applicant volume expected, we regret that we are not able to respond to all applicants personally. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.