| Job Description: ||
Our Buildings Engineering group specializes in the sustainable design and development processes unique to buildings. Working closely with our clients, our dedicated professionals help to establish and understand the specific needs of a range of building projects. This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built. For both public and private sector clients, we provide unique high performance design capabilities covering each of the major engineering disciplines – structural, mechanical and electrical – along with specialist sustainable consulting and performance engineering teams. Focused on providing the most cost-effective, sustainable solutions to engineering challenges, we are involved in a diverse range of projects from the initial planning stages to design, construction, commissioning and ongoing building optimization. Our open structure, collaborate culture, and sustainable design ethos cultivates career growth and provides opportunities as unique as you are. Responsibilities:
Stantec in GTA - Toronto or Mississauga office has an immediate opening for a Senior Structural Engineer. The successful candidate will lead structural project teams to develop construction documents ( i.e. working drawings and detailed technical specifications) for projects of varying complexity and construction value. Teams vary in size and composition and include professional staff and technologists.
Other responsibilities include:
- Prepare engineering designs from conceptual design, through tender to construction.
- Apply professional seal to construction documents or engineering reports. Monitor and take professional responsibility for design completed by other team members.
- Lead team members in determining viable solutions for design issues.
- Ensure Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) procedures are followed during project planning and production.
- Assist Project Managers in developing project budgets and timelines.
- Assist in the coordination of project design activities and the preparation of engineering work schedules.
- Work to and meet project time lines and budgets.
- Liaise with owners, architects, and other project stakeholders to determine project objectives. Relay objectives to project team. Ensure project objectives are met.
- Coordinate design work with other disciplines, other offices, and other project team members as required by project size.
- Support Construction Administration personnel including field reviews and co-ordination, review and issuance of change notices, clarifications and RFI responses on an occasional or as required basis
- Coach Intermediate and Junior Staff members informally or through formal presentations.
- Assist the management team in developing tools and techniques for the execution of daily duties.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural engineering from a recognized University.
- Professional Member in good standing of the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
- Ten or more years of experience in structural engineering design of buildings using applicable standards including, but not limited to: The National Building Code of Canada, including the Structural Commentaries, S16 – Limit States Design of Steel Structures, A23.3 – Design of Concrete Structures, S304 - Engineered Masonry Design.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the principals involved in preparing construction documentation and the different project delivery methods.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks, and demonstrates a flexible approach to work assignments.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- An enthusiastic team player who loves challenges, thrives on hard work, and looks forward to sharing in the rewards of corporate and personal success with a team environment.
- Sound working knowledge of applicable computer applications including but not limited to the following: Microsoft Office suite of products, CSI suite (SAP, ETABS, SAFE) or other structural finite element analysis software.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in technology. Ability to integrate new technologies into daily work processes.
- Willingness to continue education in industry-related programs.