| Job Description: ||
Experience. Creativity. Ingenuity. Stantec's Buildings team provides a full range of innovative services in buildings engineering, architecture, interior design, and facilities planning and operations, helping our clients to create high performance and cost-effective buildings and interiors.
Our Buildings Engineering group specializes in the design and development processes unique to buildings. Working closely with our clients, our dedicated professionals help to establish and understand the specific needs of a range of building projects. This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built. For both public and private sector clients, we provide structural, mechanical, & electrical engineering services, as well as many unique and specialty services such as lighting and daylighting, security & life safety systems designs, commissioning & retro-commissioning, plan checking, and energy engineering services. Focused on providing the most cost-effective solutions to engineering challenges, we are involved in a diverse range of projects from the initial planning stages to design, construction, and commissioning. Our structure cultivates career growth and provides opportunities as unique as you are. Responsibilities:
We have an opportunity in our Toronto-Wellington office for a Senior Electrical Designer. The main scope of this role is to independently develop working drawings and detailed technical specifications for multi-million dollar projects. Reporting into the Team Lead, you will be responsible for:
- Conducting field investigations of electrical installations. Performing Building evaluations.
- Liaising with the Project Manager, Project Lead and /or clients to determine project needs. Leading others in determining viable solutions for design issues.
- Preparing engineering reports (ie: Schematic Design, Design Development, and Issue Reports.)
- Keeping up-to-date on new products, technologies, and design processes.
- Providing construction field support, technical troubleshooting and advising as required for specific project issues
- Coordinating electrical design activities to meet expectations of the project design team and Client representatives
- Instructing others in the preparation of working drawings and specifications for construction. Preparing client correspondences /presentations.
- Coordinating reviews /selections of appropriate materials and equipment.
- Preparing drawing /document lists, with associated engineering/planning budgets.
- Assisting in the coordination of project design activities and the preparation of engineering work schedules.
- Coordinating design work with other disciplines, other offices and other project team members.
- Coaching Intermediate and Junior Staff members informally, or through formal presentations.
- Assisting the management team in developing tools and techniques for the execution of daily duties
- A minimum of 12+ years of general design experience on large facilities including lighting, fire alarm, power distribution and low tension systems for multi million dollar construction projects.
- Graduate of a technical college or engineering degree program.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the principals involved in preparing construction documentation and the different project delivery methods.
- Sound working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of office products.
- Thorough understanding of the Canadian Electrical Code and Ontario Building Code
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes in technology
- Ability to integrate new technologies into daily work processes
- Working knowledge of commercial design practices and construction methods
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet assignment schedule & deliver quality products under pressure
- LEED© accreditation will be an asset.
- Must demonstrate critical thinking and leadership skills
- Demonstrated willingness to engage in continuing education activities